THE MUSCULAR SYSTEM: DID YOU KNOW…
- Muscles make up more then half your body weight.
- The smallest muscle in the human body is the stapedius, which is found in your middle ear.
- Muscles can contract, pull, and relax, but they can’t push or stretch themselves.
- Your body is made up of approximately 696 muscles.
- The human body consists of 3 different kinds of muscles; Skeletal (voluntary), Smooth (involuntary), & Cardiac (heart).
- The most powerful muscles in the body are those that run the length of the spine.
- 85% of body heat is generated by muscle contractions. That’s why you shiver when too cold. Your muscle fibers are working to ‘heat up’ your body temperature.
- The largest muscle in the human body is the gluteus maximus.
- The longest muscle in the human body is the sartorius.
- It takes over 200 muscles working together just to walk!
Now, can you tell me, what the busiest muscles in the human body are?
*** By the time you are 25 years old your total bone count is 206! Stay tuned for 10 facts on the Skeletal System!