I stretch but it doesn’t seem to help
I hear this all the time “I stretch but it doesn’t seem to help, what am I doing wrong?”
5 tips on effective stretching: for the weekend warriors to the Olympians
- Stretch 3 x’s a day regardless of activity (morning, noon, & night).
- Hold every stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds up to 60 seconds for greatest benefit.
- Apply heat to affected tissue for 10 minutes before stretch.
- Stretch before, during & after any repetitive activity (work, sports, crafts).
- relax the muscle you are trying to stretch (do not contract, tighten, or engage the muscle being stretched).
- The most common cause of injury is going too far, too fast, too soon.
- Stretching is not painful. If there is pain discontinue.
- Don’t Bounce! (slow, smooth, steady stretches please).
- Over time repetitive use will shorten and adhere muscle tissue. So let’s not forget how important effective stretching actually is.