THE SKELETAL SYSTEM: DID YOU KNOW…
10 Fun facts on the skeletal system: Did you know…
1) Bones consume nutrients.
2) The longest bone is the femur in the thigh. It makes up almost one quarter of the body’s total height!
3) Bones can rebuild themselves when broken.
4) The smallest bone is the stirrup deep in the ear. It is hardly longer then a grain of rice!
5) Accounting for approximately 20% of your body weight, the human skeleton is made up of bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons.
6) There are four functions of the skeletal system; to protect soft vital internal organs, provide framework for attachment of muscles, permit motion by working together with muscles and to give the body a definite shape.
7) Bones use oxygen and give off waste.
8) The Achilles tendon is the largest, thickest, and strongest tendon in the body. Without it, we couldn’t run, walk, or jump!
9) Bones require a constant blood supply.
10) Fracture or broken bone? Although there are different types of fractures and broken bones, the terms mean the same thing!
Now it’s your turn! Can you tell me, what the most durable bone in the human body is?
*** Every minute, the average adult heart pumps about 5 litres of blood! Stay tuned for 10 facts on the Circulatory System!